What is your hair type? Find out which products are best for your hair!
What is my hair type?
Most textured gals have more than one type of pattern on their head, “so you may have a combination of, say, kinky, coily, wavy, and curly” adds François. To identify your curl shape and pattern (or patterns), “it’s best determined while your hair is sopping wet,” explains Anthony Dickey, the curl wizard. 1s are straight, 2s are wavy, 3s are curly, and 4s are coily.
The sub-classifications of A to C are based on the width or diameter of your wave, curl, or coil pattern. As have a wider pattern size, Bs medium, and Cs the smallest of the three. “The real beauty of identifying your hair type is that you’re better at understanding how to care for your texture so you can have more versatility,” says Dickey.
Type 1 Straight Hair: Generally speaking Type 1 hair is straight; however Andre categorizes this hair type into three very specific segments – Type 1A, Type 1B, and Type 1C.
- Type 1A hair is described as fine, very thin and soft with a noticeable shine.
- Type 1B hair is medium-textured and has more body than Type 1A hair.
- Type 1C hair is the most resistant to curly styling and relatively coarse compared to other Type 1 hair types.
Type 2 Wavy Hair: Type 2 is wavy hair that usually isn’t overly oily or very dry. The thought is that Type 2 hair falls right in the middle of Type 1 and Type 3.
- Type 2A hair is fine and thin. It is relatively easy to handle from a styling perspective because it can easily be straightened or curled.
- Type 2B hair characteristically has waves that tend to adhere to the shape of your head.
- Type 2C hair will frizz easily and it is fairly coarse.
Type 3 Curly Hair: Curly hair textures have a definite “S” shaped curl pattern. Since the cuticle doesn’t lay flat, you will notice that curly hair isn’t nearly as shiny as Type 1 (straight hair) or Type 2 (wavy hair) hair types.
- Type 3A hair is very shiny and loose.
- Type 3B hair has a medium amount curls, ranging from bouncy ringlets (spiral like curls of hair) to tight corkscrews (spiral-shaped corkscrew curls).
- Type 3C hair isn’t a part of the Andre Walker Hair Typing System. Please see the “what’s missing” section below for more information.
Type 4 Kinky Hair: Type 4 is “kinky” or more appropriately full of tight coils (tightly curled hair). Typically, Type 4 hair is also extremely wiry and fragile.
Often times, it appears to be coarse, however, it is really very fine, with several thin hair strands densely packed together. Note that type 4 hair is one the most common hair types found in black hair (African American hair).
- Type 4A hair is full of tight coils. It has an “S” pattern when stretched, much like Type 3 curly hair.
- Type 4B hair has a less defined pattern of curls and looks more like a “Z” as the hair bends with very sharp angles.
- Type 4C hair isn’t a part of the Andre Walker Hair Typing System. Please see the “what’s missing” section below for more information.
Using Chebe for Type 3 & Type 4 Hair
Chebe powder is actually a handmade product created by the Basara Arab women of Chad. They are known for their hip and thigh length 4c kinky hair, and they credit it to their Chebe powder recipe that has been passed from generation to generation in their society.
Benefits of Chébé for Hair:
Anti Inflammatory: cleanses the scalp and prevents fungus and other scalp issues from growing in scalps, which causes hair loss which mimics Female Pattern Thinning (FPT) and the prevention of hair growth.
Alkaloids: It neutralizes the PH of the hair Shaft and the scalp
Moisture: This is the biggest factor in hair growth, It is moisturizing and allows the hair to grow in long, black and nourished locks.
Chebe powder moisturizes and conditions the hair. It also strengthens the hair and helps lock in moisture for longer. Chebe powder can also improve the density of fine hair and give hair an appearance of thickness over time. Chebe powder is an all natural powder that nourishes the follicles. If your hair has a hard time retaining moisture, chebe powder could be especially beneficial in this regard.
Though chebe powder is recommended for 4C hair, it should work for type 3A – 4B hair as well.